Listen to the Podcast
Sometimes when we want to suffer for our Lord, we are drawn to external mortifications and penances like self-flagellation (whipping), or wearing hairshirts and cilices.
Why is that?
Two reasons – first, we want to go hardcore and in our minds, whipping yourself is EXTREMELY hardcore.
The second reason, is one we might not like admitting.
Maybe we find it easier to self-flagellate than to restrain ourselves from answering an insult?
Dom Scupoli, in his book, the Spiritual Combat, suggests some other penances that we might do instead of, or in addition to, any external mortification.
In this podcast, we look at 5 other options.
5 Penances Catholics Can Do Instead of Self-Flagellation
- Silence & retirement;
- Humility & charity;
- Patient endurance of the greatest injuries;
- Render good for the evil of your enemies;
- Take care to avoid the smallest faults;
Mentioned in this Podcast
- Don’t Choose Your Own Mortifications; Accept the Opportunities for Interior Mortification That God Sends You
- The Litany of Humility
- The Spiritual Combat by Dom Lorenzo Scupoli
If you absolutely LOVE the podcast, please consider leaving a review on iTunes or anywhere you stream this podcast! The more wonderful reviews we get, the more people we are able to reach and help. Thanks and God bless!
If You Like Penances & Prayer, You Might Like This Podcast on the Rosary
Hi there! If you purchase any of our recommended products, we might receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Lifesmything.com!
- Sowing Seeds – Why Both Soil Health & Soul Health Matter - March 26, 2021
- The Equality Act is a Trojan Horse for Christian Persecution - March 2, 2021
- Ep. 18 – When Does Overeating Become Gluttony? - June 12, 2020